Welcome to Special Books by Special Kids! Here you will find books that have been specifically chosen for children with special needs. Our selection of books includes titles that are perfect for kids with sensory processing disorder, autism, and other challenges. We hope you find the perfect book for your child here!
Checkout this video:
What are special books?
Special books are those with a unique story, often personal, that speaks to the child reader in a way unlike any other book. They are books that are not only make great gifts, but that also open up new worlds of empathy, understanding, and hope for children who read them.
What makes a book special?
What makes a book special?
A book is special because it is helpful, interesting, or just plain fun. It can teach you something new, make you laugh, or help you escape into a different world for awhile.
Some books are special because they are about a particular subject that you love. Maybe it’s a book about dinosaurs, outer space, animals, or fairies. Maybe it’s a book with lots of pictures, or one with only a few words on each page.
Other books are special because they help you read better, or they make learning to read more fun. Sometimes these books have big print and short sentences. Sometimes they have activities to do after you read the story.
Books can also be special because of the way they look and feel. They might be made out of different materials than other books. They might be different shapes or sizes. They might even smell different!
So what makes a book special? There are lots of things that can make a book extra-special… just like you!
How do special books help children?
Special books are designed to meet the needs of children with learning disabilities, autism, communication disorders, and other special needs. They can help these children develop important literacy skills and improve their social and communication skills.
Some special books have large print or raised print to make them easier to read. Others have simple text or illustrations to help children understand the story. Some use Augmented Reality (AR) to provide a multimedia experience.
Special books can be used in the classroom or at home. They can be used by teachers to support instruction, by parents to encourage reading at home, or by children themselves as they learn to read.
How to make a special book
When you want to make a special book, you need to choose the right materials. You will also need to gather information about the person who will be the star of the book. This section will explain how to make a special book.
What materials do you need?
-One or two hardcover books
-Tape or glue
-Markers, crayons, or colored pencils
1. Choose one or two hardcover books. The thicker the book, the more pages you will have to work with. If you want to make a “lift the flap” book, use one hardcover and one paperback book.
2. Cut construction paper to fit the cover of your book. You may want to cut out a rectangle in the center of the construction paper so that you can see the original cover of the book.
3. Tape or glue the construction paper to the cover of your book.
4. Decorate the cover of your book with markers, crayons, or colored pencils. You may want to write the title of your book on the cover as well.
5. If you are using two books, open both books to page one and tape or glue them together at the spine.
6. Begin decorating the pages of your book!
What are some ideas for special books?
There are lots of ways to make a book special. Here are some ideas to get you started:
-Pick a theme: You could make a book about your family, your pets, your favorite things, or anything else that is special to you.
-Make it personal: Write about your own experiences or even include photos of yourself and people you love.
-Get creative: Use your imagination to come up with unique stories or poems. You could even add drawings or other artwork.
-Be silly: There’s no need to be serious all the time! Sometimes the best books are the ones that make you laugh.
Whatever you decide to do, just have fun and be yourself. That’s what makes a book special.
Why are special books important?
Special books are books that have been specifically created for children with disabilities. These books can help children with disabilities to develop a love for reading, and can also aid in their cognitive and social development. Special books can be a valuable addition to any child’s library.
How do special books help children learn?
The use of special books can help children learn in a number of ways. For example, special books can:
– Help children understand and identify their emotions
– Help children understand and cope with difficult situations
– Help children understand different points of view
– Encourage children to express themselves
– Help children to develop empathy for others
– Encourage positive social interactions
– Help children to develop a positive self-image
How do special books help children communicate?
Special books give children with disabilities a way to communicate their wants and needs. They can also be used to help teach children new skills, such as how to dress themselves or brush their teeth. For children who are nonverbal, special books can be a helpful tool for communicating with the people around them.